Edgar automatically imports content from any website or service that generates an RSS feed, including most blogs, WordPress sites, YouTube, Medium, Vimeo, Etsy, Medium, Pinterest, Zapier, podcasts, and more! Check out how to connect popular services to import content automatically below.
Edgar will automatically check each connection once each night to see if there is any new content available for him to import.
Connect a blog
Most websites and blogs output an RSS feed that lists a concise version of their latest content. Edgar can read these feeds and automatically import content from them.
Add RSS Feeds on the Import page.
- Enter the URL for the website you'd like to import from.
- Click the Find RSS Feed button.
- Edgar will check the website to see if an RSS feed is present. If it is, he'll grab that feed and then let you choose your options for it.
Once Edgar finds your feed, he asks you to set up the feed's import options.
- Select the category where you'd like Edgar to put the links from the feed.
- Choose whether you'd like the links to be sent directly to your library or to the pending content queue where you'll have a chance to review them before they're published.
- Choose whether posts imported from this feed should be Use Once.
- Select the social accounts you'd like to associate with the feed's links.
RSS is designed to output only the most recent content.
- Most feeds will only give Edgar the 10 most recent posts on their site. Depending on whether you own the site Edgar is importing from and what platform it's on, you may be able to import more content by changing the settings on your RSS feed.
- For WordPress blogs, you can change that number to import more content: WordPress RSS Settings.
Chrome extension and Firefox or Safari bookmarklet
Edgar has a Chrome extension as well as a bookmarklet for Firefox and Safari. Installing Edgar's extension or bookmarklet will give you an Edgar button on your browser that allows you to add content to Edgar from any webpage while you're browsing the web. Grab the option for your favorite browser here: Browser Extension and Bookmarklet
Learn how to install the extension or bookmarklet on mobile devices: Extension and Bookmarklet for iOS and Android
Connect a Pinterest feed
Import links to pins from Pinterest by entering a feed for a Pinterest user or the link to a Pinterest board in the Connect an RSS feed box of the Import page.
To import links to pins from a specific user, locate the user's Pinterest URL and add /feed.rss to it. For example, this is the feed for National Ocean Service's Pinterest account:
You can also add a single board with a similar trick. Just add '.rss' to the end of the URL after the board's name like this:
Connect a YouTube channel
Copy and paste a YouTube channel url into 'Connect RSS Feed' box on the Import page, and Edgar will automatically import the 15 most recently uploaded videos from that channel. Whenever a new video is added, Edgar will automatically import it when he checks the feed that night.
Advanced YouTube Channel & Playlist Connection
- If the direct link to your channel doesn't work, try adding a direct link to the channel's feed https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=[YOUR CHANNEL ID]Replace "[YOUR_CHANNEL_ID]" with the channel ID number
For example, the direct feed URL for Edgar's channel is
- You can also add a YouTube playlist into Edgar: https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?playlist_id=[YOUR_YOUTUBE_PLAYLIST_NUMBER] Replace "[YOUR_YOUTUBE_PLAYLIST_NUMBER]" with the playlist ID number
For example, Edgar's User Spotlight playlist on Youtube lives here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuMwmBzJb6-9eCH7xl5Qfp3CG9FhrVqKY
The play list ID is PLuMwmBzJb6-9eCH7xl5Qfp3CG9FhrVqKY
So, the feed URL for that playlist is www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?playlist_id=PLuMwmBzJb6-9eCH7xl5Qfp3CG9FhrVqKY, which can be entered into the Connect RSS feed box on the Import page:
Connect a WordPress site
To connect a WordPress site to Edgar, the site must have an RSS feed installed on it. To see if Edgar can connect to your site, enter the link to your site in the Connect RSS feed box on the Import page.
Most feeds will only give Edgar the 10 most recent posts on their site. For WordPress blogs, you can change that number to import more content: WordPress RSS Settings.
Import content from a spreadsheet
Create a spreadsheet using Google Sheets or Numbers (on a Mac) with your post content, including any links, in column A and the name of the Edgar category you want to put the content in in column B. Export your spreadsheet as a .csv file with UTF-8 encoding and upload it to Edgar on the Import page.
Notes: We do not recommend using Excel to create spreadsheets for Edgar. Please use Google Sheets or Numbers.
Please enter your category names into the spreadsheet exactly as they appear in Edgar. Category names are case sensitive.
See all the details on creating, formatting, and uploading a spreadsheet of content to Edgar here: Bulk Import.
Connect a Medium blog
Connect a Medium blog to Edgar by adding the user's Medium @name to the end of this link: medium.com/feed/@username
Then input the link into the Connect an RSS feed box on the Import page.
For example, Edgar's founder Laura's Medium name is @lkr. To add a feed to her Medium blog, you would enter medium.com/feed/@lkr into the Connect an RSS feed box on the Import page.
To find a Medium user's @name, simply visit their blog on Medium and look for their @name at the end of the blog's URL:
Connect an Etsy shop
Connect your Etsy shop to Edgar by entering the link to your shop in the Connect RSS Feed box on the Import page. Edgar will automatically import your 10 most recent listings, and he will continue to import new listings when he checks the feed each night.
Connect a Vimeo channel
Vimeo channels have two RSS feeds that you can connect to Edgar. Choose whether you'd like to connect your channel's video feed (that is the videos you have uploaded to your channel) or the channel's likes feed (that is the vimeo videos from other users that you have liked from your channel).
Vimeo Channel Feed
Vimeo Likes Feed
Import content with Zapier
Zapier allows thousands of different apps to connect to each other and exchange information across the web. For Edgar, that means he can import content from various different apps through Zapier, including Twitter, Instagram, Pocket, Feedly, and many more. Check out how to import content with Zapier here: Edgar & Zapier.
Connect a Podcast
Finding the RSS feed for a podcast can be tricky. If you host your podcast on Buzzsprout, Podbean, or Blubrry, this article will show you how to find your feed: How to Create (or Find) Your Podcast RSS Feed on the Top Platforms
If you'd like to link an iTunes or Apple Podcast to Edgar, first generate an RSS link for it.
- Grab the URL to the podcast and enter it here: Feed Flipper.
- Then enter the RSS link Feed Flipper gives you into the Connect RSS feed box on the Import page.
Example Apple Podcast:
The URL for the Social Post podcast is https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/social-post/id1473139348
If you enter that into Feed Flipper, they give you this link: https://feeds.captivate.fm/social-post/
Enter https://feeds.captivate.fm/social-post/ into the Connect RSS feed box on the Import page.
Have more questions about the importing content to Edgar? Ask them live in an Office Hours Session. Register here to attend office hours any day!